I have a few posts about yoga on here (I Bend So I Don’t Break), and how it has benefited me personally. I love yoga – I love everything that it does and has done for me. It has eliminated back pain, muscle pain, eased stress and make me sleep better!
My friend, Dr. Maritza Baez (Read her blog here!), has a fantastic article over on her page that she wrote. It is called TOP 5 REASONS FOR RECOMMENDING YOGA. I was inspired with her post to share with you what my top five reasons are and why you need to do yoga starting today! No matter what your resolution is – this is so beneficial in all aspects of your life! First things first before we get started, here are some essential items you need to get your yoga on!
Yoga Mat – this is a given! You need a non-slippery surface for all of your balances and poses. You can find cheap ones all over at Target and even Amazon! There are so many pretty ones too! Check these out!
Yoga block – this is a beneficial tool for people (like myself!) who are not that flexible (YET!). This helps us non-flexible people to stretch more and gives us additional support in several other yoga poses.
Yoga band – again, for us not flexible people this is a great tool to stretch with! You can take your legs to new lengths with these yoga bands!
Yoga mat towel – essential for those who sweat a lot (especially if you want to participate in hot yoga!) The yoga mat might be non-slippery but when you start dripping sweat, it gets pretty slippery!
Yoga socks – if you want some extra support to not slip, I suggest getting some socks with grips on them!
So now that we have our essentials – let me give you the reasons why you need to start yoga!
- Health benefits – there is NO shortage of health benefits in the practice of yoga. From immediately following a yoga class, to many, many years post-practice you can have any benefit from improved brain function to a lower risk of heart disease. Yoga can also act as a detox for your body (it’s actually great for hangovers!) and increased immunity. Weight management, lowers your blood pressure, and improves circulation and digestion – all within as little as 30 minutes a day!
- Self-love and self-acceptance – any yoga class I have ever taken has given me such a warm and happy feeling. I may need to force myself to do a class or practice for 30 minutes, but I always come out of it LOVING everything about it. I love how it makes me feel, time and time again. Unlike many forms for fitness, yoga is the only one to benefit your body and your mind equally. With regular practice, this state of mind becomes natural and you will become a much happier person all around!
- Muscle strength & Muscle Tone – Yoga helps define your muscles and strengthens within your body. With yoga, there isn’t a dominant side and all muscle groups are worked equally. Yoga targets your ENTIRE body and your muscles will grow all at once. This will help prevent injury and make lifting or day to day tasks much easier.
- Better breathing – it is all about your breathing in yoga. You want to focus on calmness and relaxation and training your breath. With focusing on your breathing, it soothes respiratory disorders and you have more control over your breathing.
- Reduces muscle pain – I can’t get excited for this enough or preach this benefit more than I already do. I had a piriformis muscle that was very tight because of running. I did hot yoga consecutively for a few weeks and before I knew it, it was completely gone. I mean this muscle injury was difficult to even sit still in a chair during work. Stretching through the muscle made me feel so much better. This year I have had a lower back issue where I have pulled my back a couple of times and I know when I pull it, I can turn to yoga specifically with poses to focus on strengthening and stretching out my back.
There is yoga for EVERYTHING – yoga for neck pain, yoga for hangovers, yoga for sickness, yoga for prenatal and so on. You are improving your mind and your body in so many ways.
I will be going on my first yoga retreat with a group of like-minded women in March to Guatemala! I am so excited to share every aspect of that trip on this blog!
I hope that I have convinced you to do more yoga (or start yoga) in your life – there is no end to the benefits that yoga provides!
Until next time,